Frost/Nixon (15)
Having not been alive for Watergate but having experienced the countless plays on it's name (e.g. Sachsgate) this film was certainly interesting for me to learn more about that era of politics, and in particular, the man behind it all. The film looks brilliant, it's tone is perfect and it's shot well. The faithful structure of faux-interviews with the main players telling parts of the story has been used before, but worked well.
Perhaps it was truthful to the original story, but I thought it was going to be a lot grittier and powerful. There is a big build up to the interview, almost all the film, which makes the denouement all the more disappointing.
I never thought I would eventually feel for Nixon and understand some of what he was going through. The film is sympathetic and portrays him as kind, quite confused and deeply regretful of what happened-he clearly wanted to tell the public the truth. The film wasn't too kind of Frost though, considering he is still alive, I thought they would paint this perfect picture of him; the talk show host desperate to make it big and become recognised. I thought he just came across as a bit of a prick.
And the whole Italian leather shoes thing was really cheesy.