Tuesday, 15 September 2009

The Hurt Locker (15)



To Say I have no interest in war films is an understatement, I despise them, I don't think I even saw Saving Private Ryan, despite probably having a teen crush on Matt Damon. The Hurt Locker claims to be a war movie for people who don't like war movies, and that is true up to a point - I certainly didn't hate it!

It's 2004 and we are following an Explosive Ordnance Disposal unit with the US Army's Bravo Company. Having recently lost their old team leader from a explosive, Sergeant William James takes over. He joins Sanborn (straight laced know-it-all) and Eldridge (nervous young un) who's roles are to communicate with the team leader when he's inside his bomb suit, and provide him with cover when he's inspecting possible bombs. But the new team leader is reckless, doesn't listen to them and seems to have an unhealthy passion for danger, and for bombs. He loses the respect and trust of his colleagues and many heated arguments ensue.
Perhaps the most memorable scene is when there are just two days left on their tour, the team gets called in to assist in a situation where a man has walked into a military checkpoint with a time-bomb strapped to his chest with metal shackles. They can't remove or disarm it, despite the mans panicked screaming and pleading, and are forced to flee before it goes off.

The Hurt Locker gives the viewer a deeper, more understanding insight of what it might be like to serve in Iraq, and actually manages to bring something new to the war film genre. Groundbreaking and award winning though? Not in my eyes.