
It reminds me very much of the Guerilla Gardening movement, which is spearheaded by Englishman Richard Reynolds who I was lucky enough to hear talk recently. Primarily practised by green-fingered environmentalists or activists, they take over an abandoned piece of land which they do not own to grow crops or plants. They believe in re-considering land ownership in order to reclaim land from perceived neglect or misuse and assign a new purpose to it.
And even more about plants, the Wayward Plant Registry were part of the 'try something different' event at the Barbican last weekend and tucked away in the art gallery a whole gang of neglected, mistreated or forgotten plants looked for new owners. I was lucky enough to be selected to take home Zeus, a Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum wallisii) from a broken home in Mile End. He was in pretty poor shape when I got him (especially after riding home on the back of my bike) but now he's looking like this and is ever so happy in his new home :) I hope he continues to flourish, he is so lovely.