Thursday, 22 May 2008

Films 22-05-08

Persepolis
Is a beautifully animated story of a young Iranian women, and her life as a rebellious and outspoken child of committed Marxists in Tehran during the years of the Shah's regime and the Islamic Revolution. The film is full of pop culture references and despite tackling some serious issues it is wise and funny too. It's more than just political, it's a coming-of-age story that is like nothing else I've seen before. The black and white simple style is suprisingly effective and conveys many emotions and situtions that I thought would've be possible. I seriously enjoyed this film. Top marks.

Caramel (Sukkar Banat)
Tagged as a "wonderful tale of Lebanese Life", on the outset Caramel looks like a quirky take on the American "chick flick". The film follows four girls who work in a hair salon and their lives that go on outside their job. One is having an affair, one is struggling with her sexuality, one is about to get married and one is finding it hard to admit their youth. I found this film to be sad and thoughtful, and not at all like the adverts have portrayed it. The sets are stunning and the characters and their relationships cannot be flawed. Caramel shouldn't try to be something it's not and hopefully people will realise this when they go to see it.